If I ever leave the country, remind me to never go to a hospital in that country. I don't care where it is because honestly, everytime I hear of some crazy story that happened to someone in a hospital, it's in another country.

But this was a serious case of malpractice. A Romanian woman actually died from third-degree burns when she was accidentally being set on fire during surgery. How does this even happen?

Well, somehow an electric scalpal and an alcohol-based disinfectant combination did the trick to ignite the patient. The doctors said that she lit up like a torch.

According to BBC,

“Surgeons at Floreasca Hospital in Bucharest used an alcohol-based disinfectant on the woman, 66, before carrying out her operation for pancreatic cancer on 22 December.

But they then used an electric scalpel – which, as it came into contact with the alcohol, set the woman’s body alight on the operating table.

She suffered burns to 40% of her body and died in hospital a week later.

The family was kept in the dark about the incident aside from being told there had been an accident.

“We found out some details from the press when they were broadcast on TV stations,” they said. “We aren’t making accusations, we just want to understand what happened.”

A nurse reportedly doused the patient in a bucket of water to put out the fire. The woman suffered burns to 40 percent of her body and she died a week later, BBC reported.

Deputy Minister Horatiu Moldovan said the “surgeons should have been aware that it is prohibited to use an alcohol-based disinfectant during surgical procedures performed with an electric scalpel.”

Ungureanu filed a criminal complaint to the general prosecutor’s office Monday so that “those who did wrong in this case can bear the consequences of the law.”

Out of all the countries within the European Union, Romania spends the least on its health care system. I guess they should focus on it a little bit more so that this sort of thing doesn't happen again in the future.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Our Privacy Policy has been updated to support the latest regulations.Click to learn more.×