Science fiction fans are likely losing their minds at the newest announcement from Vice President Mike Pence: a sixth military branch called the U.S. Space Command is set to launch on August 29th.
This comes after President Trump called for the Department of Defense to start preparing to create a U.S. Space Force. The future is now folks!
Speaking at Tuesday's meeting of the National Space Council, Vice President Mike Pence and Pentagon officials announced that a key step in creating the newest branch of the military would happen next week.
The U.S. Space Command officially starts Aug. 29, serving as the launching pad for the Space Force, they said. Air Force Gen. John Raymond has been tapped and confirmed by the Senate as its first leader.
Establishment of the Space Force still requires congressional funding and authority, a step Pence said Tuesday would happen soon.
The Trump administration has cited potential threats from China and Russia as part of the reasoning behind creating a space force.
The vice president said, "The United States Space Force will ensure that our nation is prepared to defend our people, defend our interests, and to defend our values in the vast expanse of space and here on Earth with the technologies that will support our common defense for the vast reaches of outer space."
Don't laugh yet. The United States is not the only country to announce the creation of a space force. In fact, France announced that they are doing the same, last month.
Pentagon officials have reportedly been against the idea of creating a new military branch, as they claim it would be too 'costly and disruptive.' However, the idea has become more popular over the years, and Trump signed the creation of the Space Force into existence in February.
President Trump stated that he feels the new branch is a step in the right direction to protect the United States. He said, "I was put here for security, whether it's Space Force, which I'm doing today, or whether it's borders."