Well, look at that. Roger Goodell caves again. On Friday the NFL announced that players will not be forces to stand during the national anthem.
The NFL said on Friday it has no plans to mandate players stand for the U.S. national anthem, but will rather present a possible solution on how to end the controversial protests when it meets with team owners next week.
Roger Goodell is meeting with team owners October 17th to 18th in New York to come up with a plan. In the meantime he has set the tone for those meetings by allowing the players to do whatever they want.
In a conference call NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart said:
“(Goodell) has a plan that he is going to present to owners about how to use our platform to both raise awareness and make progress on issues of social justice and equality in this country.”
“What we don’t have is a proposal that changes our policy, we don’t have something that mandates anything. That’s clear. If that was the case I doubt the head of the NFLPA would have put a joint statement out with us.”
On Tuesday Goodell issued a statement that stated all players should stand during the anthem. In response the players were very angry on Wednesday.
Now Goodell is backing down.
It's important to remember the NFL ratings hit record lows on Monday night. Compared to last year's games the ratings were down double digits. Additional to that fans are burning their tickets and gear. The NFL is going downhill fast.
— Dinesh D'Souza (@DineshDSouza) October 11, 2017