Almost two months ago Dick’s Sporting Good announced they will no longer sell assault-style weapons. So the question remained, what will they do with the remaining unsold assault-style weapons in stock? The company announced they will destroy all of their unsold stock.
“We are in the process of destroying all firearms and accessories that are no longer for sale as a result of our Feb. 28 policy change. We are destroying the firearms in accordance with federal guidelines and regulations,” the company said in a released statement issued to ABC News.
Per ABC News:
In late February, two weeks after the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, Dick’s Sporting Goods announced that they would no longer sell assault-style rifles or high capacity magazines. The company also said it would no longer sell firearms or ammunition of anyone under the age of 21 years old.
“Following all of the rules and laws, we sold a shotgun to the Parkland shooter in November of 2017. It was not the gun, nor type of gun, he used in the shooting. But it could have been,” the company said in February.
Dick’s Sporting Goods had already removed all assault-style rifles from all Dick’s stores after the Sandy Hook shooting but removed them from sale at all 35 Field and Stream stores following the shooting in Parkland.
In an interview with George Stephanopoulos on Good Morning America, Dick’s Sporting Goods Chairman and CEO Edward Stack said, “We’re staunch supporters of the Second Amendment. I’m a gun owner myself. We’ve just decided that based on what’s happened with these guns, we don’t want to be a part of this story and we’ve eliminated these guns permanently.”
So Dick’s is really looking to make a statement with this move. Instead of donating the guns or at least donating the material used to make them, they are completely destroying them. They also could have returned the guns to their manufacturers. Another far left move from a major company.
Dick's Sporting Goods plans to destroy the assault-style rifles and accessories it agreed to take off its shelves in February instead of returning them to manufacturers https://t.co/QaDRN3p1dN
— The New York Times (@nytimes) April 19, 2018
That’ll save lives for sure.
Because criminals get their weapons legally, right?https://t.co/VS6hpkE3Bn
— Sebastian Gorka DrG (@SebGorka) April 18, 2018
I will never purchase anything from these idiots again. What a waste.
— Lisa Mei Crowley (@LisaMei62) April 18, 2018